Banana Chia Muffins

   It has come to my attention that despite being called "Muffins Fest and KCW Day 1," I said nothing in my last post about muffins. Whoops. What can I say? I'm easily distracted. So this morning I woke up and, when mulling over breakfast options, I spotted the brown bananas in the produce basket and thought, "Aha! Banana Muffins!" And set to work.
   When it comes to me and cooking, it pretty much goes without saying that I make things up as I go. When I find a recipe that looks intriguing, I try it once, alter if we need to for allergy issues, but otherwise make it as-written. Unless it is savory and calls for only 1 or 2 cloves of garlic. Seriously? Triple it, at least. Because garlic. Then I start to change. And change and change and change. In the end, I usually have a really different recipe that started with the bones of something else. My go-to banana bread recipe of almost a decade now was from Allrecipes originally, and called The Very Best Banana Bread. Intriguing, right? Now you know why I tried it to begin with. Now it looks like this, is egg-free, dairy-free(vegan by default), meets our allergy needs, and makes 3 dozen standard size muffins.

Ingredients:
1/4 cup Chia seeds
1 cup warm water
1 cup sugar
1 cup coconut oil(or butter if you aren't dairy-free)
1 Tbsp real vanilla extract
3.5 cups(approx. 7-8) brown bananas
4 cups flour
1/2 Tbsp baking soda

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 375F. Mix the water and chia seeds in a large mixing bowl, and let them stand for 5-10 minutes while you gather the remaining ingredients. Add the coconut oil and sugar, and whip on high(the whisk attachment on my stand mixer is great for this) for about 2 minutes until the mixture is white and 'fluffed.' Add the vanilla and bananas, and combine thoroughly. Add the flour and baking soda, stirring just until combined. Fill greased muffin tins(or paper cups) 3/4's full, and bake for 18-20 minutes, until the tops of the muffins are no longer 'gooey.' Eat 'em up.
   If your people are anything like my people, there won't be much left in a hurry. I have to repeatedly scold my kids to keep them away from the muffins so they have sufficient time to cool and my people aren't screaming about burned mouths while continuing to eat. Skin on my tongue, or a banana muffin? Hmmm. Touch choice, clearly. You can add 1 cup walnuts if that's your thing, too. It's actually my thing, but not my husband's, so not walnuts unless he's traveling for work. The kid get no say. I'm cruel like that.
   I'd love to show you lots of pretty pictures like I usually do for my recipe/cooking posts, but alas all I have for you is this:

People eating while watching Jurassic Park. Yes, at 7am.

Then this:


Oh, the romance of empty paper muffin cups. On the bright side, it means the seven of us(mostly the four big kids) demolished three dozen faster than I could take pictures. So try it. See if yours transform into a pile of garbage, too. 

Comments

Popular Posts