Roast a Radish

Something a little closer to my normal: Food. Trauma and heartache or not, I have a family of six to feed and dietary restrictions to contend with, so I am always cooking. We were so blessed during the last 3 weeks to have many friends and family send us cards, letters, and emails with gift cards for various local allergy-friendly eateries to give us a practical break. Now we're mostly back to feeding ourselves, and there are a lot of veggies in my fridge needing to be used up. Tonight I pulled out one of my old favorites to use up the two pounds of radishes in the back of the crisper.
   Have you ever roasted a radish? I don't know about you, but until I stumbled across this recipe back when my husband was on a gut-cleansing 30-day anti-candida diet to try and repair the damage done by an unfortunately necessary 21 days on Clindamycin, I had never heard of cooking a radish. Maybe I'm sheltered, but my exposure to radishes up until then had been sliced on salads, whole or halved on veggie platters, or carved into roses and solely decorative on retro dishes. I was dubious, but I gave it a try because my husband was getting really tired of the same anti-candida veg dishes I was putting in front of him. I hesitantly prepared the dish, put them in the oven, and waited. I was amazed when they came out. I'm a fan of the spice and crunch of a radish, but when you roast them to a crispy, caramelized brown on the outside the result is a pretty radical change. The outside is a crispy crunch and the inside is an almost creamy bite similar to a potato hash. Not a bit of the harsh "radish" taste and crunch I've only ever known the root to have. Even my super picky kids love it! I dare you to give it a try, just once. I bet it'll surprise you, too.

Roasted Radishes

  • 2 lbs radishes, trimmed and quartered
  • 2 Tbsp oil(EVOO is my fave)
  • 1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh oregano OR
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 425F. Toss all ingredients in a bowl until the radish quarters are evenly coated. Spread them out on a baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes. Pull the sheet out and stir the radishes, trying to turn them all to their non-browned side. Bake for another 10-15 minutes until crispy and golden. Season with more salt and pepper to taste. If you're serving these to kids be forewarned that they retain their heat inside the pieces. I like to serve up portions on my kids' plates them use a fork to split each piece in half to let them cool for a couple minutes before putting them in front of the kiddos. 

They look like a roasted red bliss potato!

Comments

Popular Posts