Annie's Tomato Basil Bisque

   Three days ago my almost-9-year-old came to me and said, "Mama, I had a dream that I made herb-tomato soup. Can I make the recipe for lunch some time? I still have it in my head." I love that my girl has such a passion for cooking so young, and find it fascinating that she dreams recipes. That tells me her passion for it goes even into her subconscious, so I have a serious duty to encourage and enable her passion. I asked her to write down the ingredients and we would get them at the store on Friday. Shopping day was yesterday, and she never forgot for a moment, leading me around Kroger to get the supplies she needed. Last night, SHE made dinner for the six of us. I asked if I could take pictures while she worked and she agreed. Her face is not in most of the pictures because she was giggling(therefore shaking) uncontrollably at my phone-tography.

Ingredients:

  • 1 46-oz bottle of organic 100% tomato juice
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • A few good cranks of fresh ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 cup organic crushed tomatoes
  • 1 cup organic whole milk
  • 10 large organic basil leaves, thin chiffonade
  • (Optional) Fine shredded Asiago cheese for garnish
Directions:
Pour the tomato juice into a medium sauce pan. Add the salt, pepper, oregano, and crushed tomatoes.



 Whisk gently to combine. 



Add basil. 



Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Turn off the heat and add the milk, whisking gently until well combined and smooth. Sprinkle with Asiago cheese and serve with grilled cheese on sprouted multi-grain bread. 


Starting with tomato juice makes it very pure and smooth tomato flavor, leaves out the chemicals of canned soups(Just not-from-concentrate tomato juice and citric acid in the one we use), adding a little crushed tomatoes makes it a little thicker without being chunky, and the milk makes it creamy. 

My girl is already dreaming up what she'll cook next. I promised her I'd phone-tograph and blog her next time, too. 
What do your kids like to cook? How old were they when they started cooking? It always fascinates me to hear how other kids learn. 


Comments

  1. Passing the torch...again! I'm so proud and excited for you Annie-Banannie! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts