All-Natural, Dairy-Free Pumpkin Spice Lattes

I love fall. LOVE! Sweaters with jeans and boots, the smell of fallen leaves, and mugs of warm, flavorful liquid, these are a few of my favorite things. Ordinarily I would begin replacing my usual venti iced Americano weekly treat with a venti pumpkin spice quad latte. It's a delicious, nostalgic smell and flavor, and it's hot beverage in a cup that gives me the pep I need to run this crazy house with eight occupants. WIN! Fortunately, The Food Babe recently did a great, factual, investigative piece on exactly what is in that latte I love to treat myself with. While I KNOW there's unwanted junk in these lattes, I usually turn a blind eye in the name of enjoying the seasonal treat. After seeing just what that junk is there's no way I can do that anymore. I'll take my coffee WITHOUT a side of pure carcinogen, thank you!
   But-but-but, what about my lattes?! I decided to try and make my own, and after tonight's run-through both my husband and I have to agree I NAILED IT! So of course I'm going to share the recipe.

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup(roughly 4 shots) brewed espresso
  • 1/4 cup organic pumpkin puree
  • 1 cup milk of your choice(we chose unsweetened Almond milk)
  • 2 Tablespoons cinnamon dolce Turbinado syrup *recipe below
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons organic pumpkin pie spice
  • 2 coffee mugs
Directions:
While espresso is brewing, put pumpkin, milk, and spice in a small pot. Over high heat, whisk steadily until texture is frothy and smooth, and mixture is hot to touch(2-3 minutes). Put 1 tablespoon cinnamon dolce syrup and half of the espresso(about 2 shots worth) in each mug, then put half the milk and pumpkin mixture in each mug. Enjoy! 

*A year ago my husband and I decided that coffee creamer was a source of serious toxins we needed to excise from our diets. We looked into doing milk and syrups, but the syrups were just as chemical-laden, if not more so, than creamers themselves. After some research along with trial and error, we came up with a recipe we use alongside almond milk(or any other milk) that we LOVE for a little sweetness in our coffee that is a dead-ringer for Starbucks' cinnamon dolce syrup:
  • 1-1/2 cups Turbinado(unprocessed cane sugar)
  • 1-1/2 cups water
  • 1 organic cinnamon stick
  • 1 Tablespoon natural vanilla extract
Put everything except vanilla in a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat, whisking occasionally. When it boils, reduce to medium-low heat and simmer for ten minutes. When time is up, remove from heat and add vanilla extract.

Comments

Popular Posts