Eggless Berry Cobbler for Two

My husband works nights four days a week, so he wakes up to start his day about an hour after the kids are in bed. Suffice it to say, he gets the short end of the stick on breakfasts. Poor guy. Homemade granola and almond butter on homemade honey-wheat toast every single day get old quickly, so every once in a while I glance over my fridge, freezers, and cupboards, and go out of my way to make something extra special for him. Naturally, I searched Pinterest and Google. Due to the  dietary limitations in our family because of allergies, though, nothing could be done without tweaking, so I combined a few things, went with my gut, and created this monstrosity my husband is now requesting. Extra bonus: It's so easy I can do it half asleep.

Ingredients:

  • Coconut oil
  • 2 Tablespoons Turbinado or Demerara sugar, separated
  • 1 cup berries, frozen or fresh
  • 3 Tablespoons melted butter
  • 1/4 cup almond, coconut, or cow's milk
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions:
Preheat the oven to 365. Brush a shallow gratin dish with the coconut oil, then evenly layer the berries and sprinkle with 1 Tablespoon of sugar. 


In a bowl(or a large Pyrex measuring cup ;-) ), mix all the remaining ingredients. 


The resulting mixture will be half-way between a batter and a dough. Spread if over the top of the fruit as evenly as possible, but don't stress if it's not quite enough to cover the whole thing. It'll rise and spread. 


Bake for 25 minutes, and allow it to rest for 5-10 minutes before serving. 


Then ruin the whole pretty thing by scooping it into bowls(or just one for a husband who REALLY likes it ;-) ), and serve. I'm sure it'd be delicious and dessert-worthy with some vanilla bean ice cream, but it works just fine as a breakfast treat, too. 







Comments

Popular Posts