Long-Awaited Sweet Potato Hash Recipe

   A little over a month ago, I came back from a long hiatus. In Two Months Times, I wrote about how I have a constantly flow of ideas and musings to write about, but the time and memory never get to the same spot for me to be able to write. This post, though? This one many be my longest in the making yet. I've been meaning to blog this recipe(at the request of MANY) for years. Yes, years. It's incredibly simple, but not something I ever saw, heard, or read of being made before I made it up myself. Not saying I invented it, just saying I hadn't heard of it, and it seems others feel the same, because when I make it or post about it people always-always-always ask for the recipe. So here, without further adieu, is one of our favorite ways to use sweet potatoes.

Sweet Potato Hash

Ingredients:
2 large, uncooked sweet potatoes
1 large onion, diced smll
2-3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil(or your preferred sauteeing oil)
Sea Salt
Fresh ground black pepper
Garlic powder

Your going to want a pretty big skillet for this. The ingredients are minimal, but the more surface area on the heat, the better.

Start by peeling and dicing(small) the sweet potatoes.

Next, drizzle the oil over the sweet potatoes, and add the onions.

Turn the heat on medium-high, and sprinkle the yams and onions with a teaspoon or so each of salt and pepper, and two teaspoons or so of garlic powder. Stir the pan full o' goodness so it's mixed evenly, then stir it again every couple minutes, turning the bottom layer over to the top so every piece gets a good, crispy, caramalization.

Keep turning and stirring every couple of minutes for about 10-15 minutes, until all cubes are cooked through, and most everything has a medium brown touch. Watch for burning! Sweet potatoes have lots of natural sugars that will burn before the pieces cook through if your temperature is too high. If you start getting anything more than some friendly brown-ness on your veg, turn the temperature down, and add a little splash of oil to further dilute the sugars for the rest of the cook time. Remove it from heat and add more salt, pepper, and garlic to taste. 

Enjoy! We love this dish with anything, but the flavors go especially well  with barbecue and Southern style meals. This also makes great leftovers that my husband loves taking to work the next day and topping with ketchup and/or hot sauce, so don't be afraid of it making too much.



Comments

Popular Posts